- Have it inspected by a professional chimney inspector every year.
- Have it cleaned every year or two, more if you have a lot of fires or tend to burn softer woods.
- A chimney cap with a rain hood and screen will minimize rain damage and keep critters out.
- Stock up on clean, dry firewood. A fireplace store can recommend someone to deliver and stack it for you. Store it away from your house to keep mice and other vermin at a distance.
- If you only use your fireplace for ambiance, install glass fireplace doors on the fireplace to keep warm air from being drawn up the chimney.
- If you use the fireplace frequently, for warmth and/or want to decrease your home heating bills, fireplace insert improve efficiency by blowing heat into the room and limiting heat loss up the chimney.
If you are interested in lowering your winter energy bills, contact The Fireplace Showcase.
Excerpts from Star Tribune