As summer heats up, and school quickly approaches, more and more south shore residents are lighting up their grills. And what a welcome sight a grill full of food is.
Unfortunately, unsafe grilling can have hazardous results. In a recent press release, three North Shore fire departments shared some safe grilling tips.
The following are reminders and grilling safety tips for barbecue BBQ's.
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- The grill should be placed well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area.
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease build-up from the grills and in trays below the grill.
- Never leave your grill unattended.
- Never store a filled propane tank indoors.
- Always light a propane gas barbecue with the lid open.
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using it for the first time each year by applying a light soap and water solution to the hose. A propane leak will release bubbles. If your grill has a leak, turn off the gas tank and the grill. Get the grill professionally serviced. If the leak does not stop, call the fire department.
- There are several ways to get a charcoal grill ready to use. A charcoal chimney allows you to start the charcoal using newspaper as a fuel.
- If you use a starter fluid, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add charcoal fluid or any other flammable liquids to the fire.
- Keep charcoal fluid out of the reach of children and away from heat sources.
- When you are finished grilling, always let the coals completely cool before disposing in a metal container
NORTHSHORE NEWS Aug 1, 2012